Sunday, October 14, 2007

It Was a Graveyard Smash

I did the Monster Mash race this Saturday at a local park. It was a charity race that benefited the DC chapter of Trips for Kids.

This race was a little bit differnet than the endurance races I've been doing. It was only 3 laps or about 50 minutes. I was hoping my muscles wouldn't rebel on me with the sudden change. There were about a dozen or so of us in the singlespeed category. The weather was a perfect 68 degrees when we got started. I was able to slip into 2nd place after the start. It was a fast pace and I was hoping I wasn't going out too hard. I managed to move into 1st place and was holding on but 2nd place was right behind me. I was thinking one slip up and I'm done. No sooner did I think that then my front tire washed out on a tricky switchback and he passed me like a shot. The hill we were on was kind of steep so I had to run up it partly and I couldn't close the gap but managed to hang on for second. Very fun race and I just saw that they raised a few thousand bucks for the cause. Double cool.






1 comment:

MCF said...

Very nice Kev. Congrats and thanks for doing such a cool race for the kids!